2018 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sdn Premier w-2LZ
The Chevrolet Malibu (named after Malibu, California) is a mid-size car produced in the United States by General Motors. It is marketed in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Middle East.
The Malibu is redesigned for MY 2008. It is built on a revised version of the long-wheelbase Epsilon platform shared with the Saturn Aura, the Opel Signum and Pontiac G6. It is assembled in Kansas City and also at Lake Orion, Michigan alongside the Pontiac G6. Overall it is 3 inches (76 mm) longer with a wheelbase that is six inches (152 mm) longer. Interior room remains mid-size like the previous Malibus, and has been decreased from 101 cubic feet (2.9 m3) to 95 cubic feet (2.7 m3) despite having a longer wheelbase, although front legroom has increased from 41.9 in (1,064 mm) to 42.4 in (1,077 mm). Rear legroom has decreased from 38.5 in (978 mm) to 37.6 in (955 mm). The interior design has also been completely reworked, with a selection of two-tone color combinations(brick and tan two tone), telescoping steering wheel, higher-quality materials and a twin-cowl dash design.
The 2008 Malibu offers a 169 hp (126 kW), 2.4 L inline-4 as the base engine, and a 252 hp (188 kW), 3.6 L V6 as an option. These engines have aluminum blocks and heads, dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, twin balance shafts, and variable valve timing. Like the 2007 model, the 2008 Malibu is available in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, however the 4-cylinder engine will now be available on the LTZ, and on that trim level it is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. The V6 models all come with a six-speed automatic, however the 4-cylinder LS and LT models continue to use a four-speed automatic, while manual transmission is not offered. A BAS mild hybrid, with the base inline-4 like the Saturn Aura Green Line, is available offering an increased EPA fuel economy of 24/32 MPG. All models are front-wheel drive sedans, as Chevrolet dropped the Malibu MAXX station wagon.
OnStar is now standard on all Malibu models. Six air bags are also now standard: two dual-stage front bags, two side-impact curtain air bags protecting the heads of both front and rear passengers, and two side-impact thorax bags mounted in the front seats. Traction control, electronic tire pressure monitoring system, four wheel disc brakes, antilock brakes, and daytime running lamps are now all standard included safety features on all Malibus. GM's StabiliTrak brand electronic stability control is standard on all models except the very base LS model.
The new model has won critical praise from newspapers, magazines and other media outlets, with The New York Times referring to it as being ''like a super Accord, but from GM'' and Car and Driver magazine declaring, ''Camry, Beware.'' It also garnered high praise from MotorTrend magazine, being rated higher than the Honda Accord in the magazine's 2008 Car of The Year competition. Kelly Blue Book has named it the ''2008 best redesigned vehicle''. Car and Driver stated that while it would not be ''enough to steal the top-dog sales title from the perennial Honda and Toyota mid-sizers'', they noted ''for the first time since Chevrolet revived the storied nameplate in 1997, it has enough of what it needs to sell in significant numbers to the public, not just rental fleets''.
Additionally, in January 2008, the new Malibu received the North American Car of the Year Award at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in voting among a panel comprised of fifty automotive journalists in a field of entries including the 2008 Cadillac CTS and the 2008 Honda Accord. The Malibu's win marks the second straight year that a car built on GM's Epsilon platform has won the North American COTY Award with the 2007 North American COTY Award having gone to the 2007 Saturn Aura. According to most estimates the 2009 Chevy Malibu has a refreshed EPA estimate of 26/34 compared to the 2008 model with 24/32.
Initial sales results have been positive with the Malibu joining the Cadillac CTS and Buick Enclave on a list of GM vehicles whose sales have exceeded production.
|Old Gas Mileage:||22 (2017)|
Engines & Emissions
- 4 Cylinder Engine
- Transmission, 9-speed automatic
- Engine, 2.0L turbo DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) (250 hp [186 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 260 lb-ft of torque [353 N-m] @ 2000-5000 rpm)
- Fuel door, push open
- Fueling system, capless
- Brake, parking, manual
- Brake lining, high-performance, noise and dust performance
- Brake rotors, Duralife
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
- Suspension, rear 4-link, independent
- Suspension, front MacPherson strut
- Front wheel drive
- Axle, 2.89 final drive ratio
- Passenger Air Bag Sensor
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Teen Driver
- Trunk latch, safety, manual release
- Door locks, rear child security
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren), for child safety seats
- Rear seat reminder
- Rear Vision Camera
- Air bags, 10 total, frontal and knee for driver and front passenger, side-impact seat-mounted and roof rail for front and rear outboard seating positions includes Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist includes Traction Control
- OnStar Guidance Plan Limited Trial Service including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling minutes) (Fleet orders receive a 6-month trial. Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data.)
- Traction Control
- Daytime Running Lights
- Child Safety Locks
- Stability Control
- Brake Assist
- Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors
- Front Side Air Bag
- Rear Head Air Bag
- Front Head Air Bag
- Rear Side Air Bag
- Driver Air Bag
- Passenger Air Bag
- Knee Air Bag
- Front Wheel Drive
- 9-Speed A/T
|Fuel Type:||Turbocharged Gas I4|
Chevrolet Malibu in the News
Chevrolet Malibu in Blogs
Chevrolet Malibu on Twitter